Monday, January 26, 2015

Mouse Games

I'm working with the KG students in the computer lab this rotation.  A few observations...

Mouse Games
  • tech ability isn't directly related to academic ability
  • mouse skill levels are lower, game understanding is higher
  • some computer skills aren't worth teaching if you don't visit the lab
Starting with the last first... Historically, when I was working the the computer lab, we would spend the first lesson turning the computer on, logging in, opening something, closing something, logging off and turning the computer off.  Usually we would repeat the sequence (minus the on and off) so the students could "learn" how to log in and log out.  We thought it was important for them to be able to access their "own" space on the computer.  However, this time, I didn't want to spend time logging in and out since this might be the only access they have, and I decided those skills are not as necessary as handling the mouse.  Along with this, I launched google chrome and navigated to a specific website so the students would be 2 clicks away from their first online interaction.  In the past, that may have been 4 or even 6 clicks with identifying buttons and/or words to find.  Was it worth it for the students in the past, maybe, particularly if they were to go home, or back to class, and try to replicate what they did in the lab.

Second, their mouse skills are pretty minimal.  Normally, by second semester, students would not turn the mouse around or drag off the desktop.  I expect that behavior at the beginning of the year in KG, but not in February.  Of course, since we haven't touched the computers, this is effectively the beginning of the year for them in the computer lab. This low level appears to only be in relation to the physical management of the computer, they have a fuller understanding of game play than I remember them having before.  This may be because they are older than students who would have played in September in the past, or it may be they are more screen-game savy than students in the past. Difficult to know which is the case.

Finally, tech ability related to academic ability.  More than one KG teacher identified the high-flyer in the class only to see that student struggle with the computer games.  I could guess that those students don't have access at home, or they may be more focused on reading/writing at home and don't have screen-game access.

So, is it worth it to have them work on the computers?  Probably not, but it's fun for them, and fun to watch them.


No comments:

Post a Comment